Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Making My Snap Flower Petal Table Mat



This is how I made my new 

Flower Petal Table Mat

First:  my design process ...


An image pops in my head,
sometimes of a completed quilt,
sometimes bits and pieces.

I scribble images and thoughts on post it notes and random scraps of paper.

My quilty muse is musing.

A long time ago I made this

Raindrop Mug Rug
Free Tutorial

This shape always looked like a bit like a flower petal to me
and I have used it before to make this



Love Blooms Table Quilt 
Free Tutorial


The image I had in my head this time was something
3-D with petals that could be detached and used for mug rugs and/or snack mats
so they could also be easily washed.


This Flower Quilt bloomed, too!

Here are some closeups of the quilting ...


Using the matching orange thread,

I densely quilted the flower center in overlapping circles using a decorative stitch.

It flatted and stiffened the center nicely.




I used the contrasting orange thread and my heavy duty walking foot
to stitch "rays" on my petals.

All of the materials and tools for this quilt were already in my stash of fabric and gadgets.

I was actually stash busting with this project!



Here is a close up of attaching the evenly spaced snaps to the center of the flower.


As always, Katniss helped me every step of the way.

Her favorite part was helping to choose the center snap cap color.

I chose orange for the way it "sinks in" to the orange fabric.



I love my new table mat!

A PDF pattern tutorial 
for this  Snap Flower Petal
table quilt is available free on Google Docs:

Snap Flower Table Quilt ~ Free Tutorial

I also love sharing my design ideas and tutorials freely.

If you make your own 3-D Flower Petal Mat from this idea,
please credit my design original and let me know,
send me a photo.
link back to my blog.

I would love to enjoy your creation, too!


 :-)

Woo-Hoo!

The winner of yesterday's giveaway was one of the lovely comments here on my blog ...

July 25th’s Winner Is:
Linda L with her comment at Life In The Scrapatch
Winner Announced Here @ Seams To Be Sew

Congratulations, Linda!!!!

Thanks to all who stopped by and left a kind word.

Katniss says, "Purrrrrr!"

:-)


Linking up today with all the beautiful projects @


10 comments:

works4me said...

Thank you so much for posting this. It is delightful.

Cat Lady said...

Thank you for posting the tutorial for this. It is also interesting to learn about your design process thoughts.

Susan said...

Lovely creation with the HexnMore ruler! Love that you put snaps on it to keep it together - brilliant!

Lena Pugacheva said...

What a great idea! I love things that are both beautiful and useful)) Thanks for making a tutorial for it.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Clever idea, and nicely done!

Unknown said...

You are super talented. I will definitely be making these. You should however make some $$$ off these. Do patterns and sell. Excited for pointsettias.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Oh my gosh Pat you are so talented! Beautiful project and your tutorial is perfect, I never would have thought of the snaps!

Podunk Pretties said...

What a fun and creative idea! Thanks for sharing on Podunk Pickin's.

PeggyinNO said...

What a great project! Thanks so much for the tutorial! I HAVE to make this!!

JoyfullyOrangeDeborah said...

I just love this! Sunflowers make me smile & this is totally reminiscent of a sunflower. My ruler is in transit & I can't wait to make projects with it. This is on my list for summer table!